I have a weakness for good rich good for you chocolate, but even if you’ve only had the artificial sugary bad stuff that comes out of a vending machine this smoothie might help to open your mind. Forget those highly processed sugar laden candy bars with the added preservatives and E numbers, natural goodness is where it’s at! Thankfully, cacao (raw chocolate) is one of the healthiest superfoods you can add to your smoothie, it’s loaded with magnesium, antioxidants, iron and vitamin C.
I eat lots of lovely green salads and vegetables during the week this chocolate smoothie it such a nice treat just for me, especially after a big workout on Saturday. It’s quick and easy to make, the ingredients can be tailored depending on your diet and after making it a few times you will have your own special version.
My ultimate chocolate smoothie (serves 1)
- 1x banana (I prefer my frozen as it gives it more of a thick shake texture when blended)
- 1x cup Almond milk
- 1 TBS Raw Organic Cacao Powder
- 1 Scoop Protein Powder (do your research, mine is cold pressed and comes from Amish grass-fed cows, or swap this out for one the options below)
- 1 TBS Almond butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
Extra’s I like to add
- 1 TSP of crushed cardamom seeds (this also gives it a lovely aroma)
- 1TSP grounded flaxseed and Goji berry mix
- Honey/Stevia if it’s not sweet enough
Other extra’s you might like for an energy boost
- 1 TSP of coconut oil
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1 TSP chia seeds
If it’s too thick add more almond milk and for the extra’s add a little at the time and taste test. I hope you enjoy this chocolate smoothie as much as I do. Yum!