Do I get asked what can I have for breakfast on a paleo lifestyle? (my first answer to this would, of course, be a green juice like the ‘All Rounder’), or what health hot snacks can I eat in winter? Courgette/zucchini fritters are great as this vegetable is available all year round (in late spring the farmer’s markets have so many varieties, how can you resist painting your plate in a courgette rainbow?). Courgettes are a good source of potassium, which is a heart friendly electrolyte, that helps bring the reduction in blood pressure and heart rates by countering pressure-effects of sodium. Such a healthy versatile vegetable that is easy to eat raw or cooked. I hope you enjoy eating these paleo courgette fritters too!
- x2 courgette
- x1 onion
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour/coconut/almond flour
- 2 eggs
- pinch Himalayan rock salt
- pinch pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- oil for frying (I used coconut oil)
- A shot of positive thoughts
- Grate zucchini. Add salt and place shredded zucchini in a clean dish towel and squeeze as much liquid out of it as possible (this will stop the fritters being soggy)
- Once squeezed place back in a bowl and add beaten eggs, thinly sliced onions, almond flour, pepper and cumin and mix.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil over medium heat and wait for that pan to get super hot.
- Add spoonfuls of mixture in hot oil and fry until golden brown on each side. About 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve with side salad or eat just as they are ~Yum!