Lemons are amazing for our health and also in our homes and no peel should be left used. Using lemons for cleaning around home is a great way to reduce chemicals, costs, and the number of cleaning products you need in your home. As Mentioned in my previous blog on the health benefits of lemons, lemons have been used throughout the ages along with other more natural ingredients like vinegar, baking soda and tea tree oil. Ever notice how most the cleaning products from the supermarket have a lemon fresh scent? This is because lemons are a natural cleaner and it’s instinctive associate lemons with cleaning, so instead of grabbing for that synthetic chemical laden spray why not make your own original natural cleaner? . Here are my top 10 uses for lemons in your home:
- Stained plastic – Rub plastic containers/tupperware with lemon juice to help shift food stains.
- Chopping boards – For a natural disinfectant, squeeze and rub lemon juice into the groves and on stains leave until they disappear and then rinse
- Fridge deodoriser – Cut half a lemon and leave in the fridge so it has a nice fresh lemon scent.
- Polish brass, copper pots & stainless steel sinks – Use half a lemon with a little salt sprinkled on it, add some circular arm movement and polish
- Stovetop – Mix 2 Tbsp of lemon juice with 2-3 Tbsp baking soda to form paste. Use this paste to clean your stovetop and wipe away with a sponge or rag.
- Kitchen cleaner – cut up tart unwanted lemons in a bowl and cover with white vinegar, leave for two weeks, then add liquid into a spray bottle.
for the rest of the house…
- Mirrors – Mix 1 Tbsp lemon juice with 2 litres of water for an effective mirror cleaner.
- Taps – Leave slices on limescale stains around taps for 10 mins (or as long as overnight). Scrub with old toothbrush and rinse.
- Remove fabric stains – Add lemon juice and salt on to the mark. Leave for a while, then rinse well and wash as normal (great for curry, blood, grass marks and rust marks).
Polish furniture – Mix one cup olive oil with half a cup of lemon juice. Use this to polish furniture and to get those wooden floors to shine.